Farmers Union Youth and Camps
NDFU provides camp opportunities to young Farmers Union members each summer. More than 1,400 youth participate in cooperative-focused leadership camps annually. Camps are throughout the state at North Dakota campsites, so less travel is required for youth and their families. Check out the camp video!
2015 camp dates include:
JUNIOR CAMPS (for grades 3-6)
Wesley Acres - near Valley City:
- June 14-17 - Benson, Cavalier, Eddy, Foster, Grand Forks, Griggs, Nelson, Pembina, Pierce, Ramsey, Rolette, Steele, Towner, Walsh, Wells
- July 12-15 - Cass, Traill
- July 15-18 - Dickey, LaMoure, Ransom
- July 19-22 - Emmons, Logan, McIntosh, Richland, Sargent
- July 22-25- Barnes, Kidder, Stutsman
Heart Butte - near Elgin
- June 14-17 - Adams, Bowman/Slope, Grant, Hettinger, Morton, Sioux
- June 17-20 - Billings/Golden Valley, Dunn, McLean, Mercer, McKenzie, Oliver, Stark
- July 12-15 - Bottineau, Burke, Divide, McHenry, Mountrail, Renville, Ward, Williams
- July 15-18- Burleigh, Sheridan
SENIOR CAMPS (for grades 7-12)
- June 22-26 - Grades 7-12
- July 6-10 - Grades 7-12
- July 20-24 - Grades 7-9
- July 27-31 - Grades 7-12
- August 3-7 -Grades 11-12
7th & 8th Grade Camp Kick-off Lock-in • Mar. 28-29
All-States Leadership Camp • June 20-27
Third Year Award Tour • July 7-9
Sixth Grade Award Day • July 10
4 day, 3 night camps for grades 3-6: $75 cost
- Heart Butte Farmers Union Camp - near Elgin
- Wesley Acres Bible Camp - near Dazey
Transportation to and from camp will be provided
5 day, 4 night camps for grades 7-12: $125 cost
- Heart Butte Farmers Union Camp on Lake Tschida - near Elgin
Transportation to and from camp may be provided by NDFU where feasible.
CAMPER INCENTIVE PROGRAM:
Attend camp and refer your friends to attend camp to earn great prizes. Over 100 campers earned awards last year!
- Refer 1-2 new campers to earn an NDFU T-shirt.
- Refer 3-4 new campers to earn an NDFU hoodie.
- Refer 5-9 new campers to earn a $50 gift card.
- Refer 10-14 new campers to earn a Nintendo 3DS.
- Refer 15-19 new campers to earn an iPad.
- Refer 20 new campers to earn an Apple Laptop.
To earn credit for a referred camper, they must put your name on their registration form on the “referred by” line. Awards will be determined after the camping season.
At North Dakota Farmers Union camps, attendees learn about the cooperative business model by organizing and operating their own store and selling snacks, beverages, and camp souvenirs. Campers are educated on real-life issues affecting their generation through hands-on lessons in:
- Cultural diversity
- Legislative process
- Mock trials
Campers enjoy a variety of games and activities that round out the camp experience:
- Theme nights
As an incentive for attending day classes and camp, several award trips are offered to participants:
- Junior Youth Awards for Grades 1-6
- Sixth Grade Award
- Flicker Award
- Senior Youth Awards for Grades 7-12
- Third Year Award Tour
- Camp Kick-off (grades 7-8)
- All-States Camp - "Cream of the Crop" of Farmers Union Youth
- Torchbearers Award
At summer camps, youth vote for representatives to serve on the State Youth Advisory Council (SYAC). Each member serves as a liaison for the NDFU youth program and helps define issues that impact youth today. The board was elected by their peers during Farmers Union senior camps throughout the summer. The council meets three times during the year and attend two senior camps the following summer at no cost.
The 2015 SYAC members include:
Emme Aipperspach of Beulah
Bailey Bitz of Napoleon
Emily McKay of Valley City
Kylee Reiser of Turtle Lake
Kali Schwartzenberger of Napoleon
Lorenzo Strand of Nome
The 2016 SYAC members are:
- Kelsey Perdue
- Jakob Iverson
- Hailey Zwirner
- Samantha Zwirner
- Tanner King
- Sami Bitz
SYAC members and advisors had the opportunity to meet with Sen. Hoeven during the 2014 State Convention in Fargo. Pictured from left to right are: Michaela Long, Bailey Bitz, Kylee Reiser, Sen. Hoeven, Emme Aipperspach, Lorenzo Strand, Nathan Willer and Emily McKay. Not pictured: Kali Schwartzenberger.